Monday, June 10, 2013

Kate Quinn, About Her YA Debut Novel ANOTHER LITTLE PIECE

Today on the blog I'm delighted to host debut author Kate Quinn, answering questions about her YA novel ANOTHER LITTLE PIECE. Here's a short take: "The spine-tingling horror of Stephen King meets an eerie mystery worthy of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series." It sounds amazing, and it's out tomorrow!

Congratulations on the publication of your novel, ANOTHER LITTLE PIECE. Can you tell us a bit about the story and what inspired it?

The story is about a girl who disappears from a school party covered in blood and then is found a year later, hundreds of miles from home with no memory of who she is or where she's been. What makes this different from other amnesia stories out there, is that as Annaliese begins to remember she becomes more and more convinced that she is not really Annaliese and that she has done something terrible. I have no idea what inspired this story, it really came together piece by piece, in pretty much the same way that the story unfolds for Annaliese and the reader. 


Eerie! How long have you been writing for children/teens? Have you written other books or is this your first effort?

This is my first young adult book. Previous to this book, I'd written a romance novel and an urban fantasy for adults - both of which are now hidden at the bottom of the 'my documents' folder on my computer. 

Can you describe your path to the publication of ANOTHER LITTLE PIECE?

I think my path was pretty typical. I wrote the book, sending bits of it to my wonderful crit partner along the way so that I could incorporate her feedback. After I finished writing the first draft, I let it sit for about a month before tackling revisions. Then it was time to query agents. Since I already queried two other books, this was relatively easy. Easy, as in I knew what to expect. NOT easy as in, I'd learned to laugh in the face of rejection, because no, rejection always stings. However, I was lucky in that a month after I'd sent out my first query I received an offer from an agent - and then three other offers as well. I ended up signing with Alexandra Machinist of Janklow & Nesbit. I did a quick round of revisions for Alexandra and then the book went out on sub. Again, I was a lucky. It only took a week before my book sold to HarperTeen!

Wow - that's not just luck; that's talent. Good for you! Do you have any advice for beginning writers?

It's the worst advice, because it is so easy and yet also so hard. JUST KEEP WRITING. I still struggle with this. Generating ideas inside my head is simple, but pushing them out onto paper is much more difficult. When I am writing a first draft especially, I really have to force myself to sit down and write. 

Can you tell us something about your personal life – inspirations, plans for the future, goals, etc.?

As of now my plan for the future is to keep writing for as long as I possibly can. This is what I've wanted to do since I was in second grade. It took me awhile to get there, which was painful at times since I tend to be rather impatient and want things now. But, looking back, I have to say - the journey was worth it. 

Do you have any new writing ventures underway?

I am right now working on the second set of edits for my next book with HarperTeen titled (DON'T YOU) FORGET ABOUT ME 

What a great title - I'm already humming the song. Where can readers connect with you and learn more about ANOTHER LITTLE PIECE? 

Oh lots of places. 
Twitter @katekaryusquinn

Bonus question: what's your superpower?

I am Super Worrier. I can see the potential danger in even the most mundane of activities, and subsequently worry myself silly over it. 


2 comments:

LinWash said...

Awesome interview!!! I love these writer-journey stories. I will look for Another Little Piece. It sounds frightening and fascinating.

Janet Fox said...

Thanks, Linda!! Yes, I find these stories inspiring. It almost always shows how persistance plays a huge role. And Another Little Piece does sound great, doesn't it?